13 April 2010

Countee Cullen: She of the Dancing Feet

She of the Dancing Feet

And what would I do in heaven pray,
Me with my dancing feet?
And limbs like apple boughs that sway
When the gusty rain winds beat.

And how would I thrive in a perfect place
Where dancing would be a sin,
With not a man to love my face,
Nor an arm to hold me in?

The seraphs and the cherubim
Would be too proud to bend,
To sing the faery tunes that brim
My heart from end to end.

The wistful angels down in hell
Will smile to see my face,
And understand, because they fell
From that all-perfect plac
e

In honor of National Poetry Month and with the inspiration of friends, I share this poem. Countee Cullen is one of my favorites, especially since he comes out of the Harlem Renaissance.

My heart from end to end.
BEAT

1 comment:

JM said...

I like it! Last night I found all my poetry books and read loads of poems. I forgot how much I love poetry. Thanks for sharing.
miss you friend.