12 January 2009

English what?


For all those not in Nashville, the shit has hit the fan here. On January 22 there will be a major vote concerning English Only Referendums. Words cannot describe how detrimental this addition to the City Charter will be. It will damage the economy. Nashville can no longer claim to be an international city because businesses and conventions where other languages are spoken will not be welcome. Contracts can be negotiated in English only. All governmental forms will be in English only. Translators will be cut. I mean unless it is an emergency and all?

On top of all these cons, this is a theological issue. As intern of hospitality I talk lots about welcoming the neighbor and stranger. The English Only Referendum means that Nashville cares about neither, neighbor or stranger. January 22 is coming soon. This issue is raising my blood pressure. But in a good way. This is an issue of hospitality. I hope you welcome your neighbor. And I hope you welcome them in English, Spanish, and any other language they speak. I hear a hello (wave) or handshake or hug works really, really well. That doesn't require words. It requires love. I hope you have open hearts, minds, and doors. Whether in Nashville, Georgia, or across the world, it just requires love.

For more info, please READ this article in the NY Times

Love upon love,
BEAT

No comments: