07 January 2009

wtf?

Good story of the day. Really good. I have a bad habit of texting my supervising minister during meetings. Yes. I admit it. I mean we will be ten feet away or be sitting across a table from each other and send texts. I am only telling this story because he let the cat of the bag and told other staff members today. Thanks, John. Jerk. (And while we're at it, "Shut up.") 

Did you get the part where he responds?  He allows this to go on. If he did not respond, I would not continue this habit. That's right. I am putting the blame on him. He is the mentor and all. Right. Mentor and all. Yet he responds. And the habit continues. In all honesty, we even use hand motions or make eye contact to signal responses. Another staff member pointed out that we are pretty darn obvious. John is. I am not. Sneaky. Sneaky. 

So, you may be wondering what the text contained that he shared with others. I simply put, "WTF?"  And I meant it. There was good cause. The meeting was entering the hour and half realm, and I couldn't believe what my ears had just heard. I am talking with other staff today and not one, but two people respond to my pleasantries with: "WTF?"  

Hello. My name is BEAT, and I am a texter. More importantly, I am a texter during meetings. Big deal or weekly, I will probably text you during it. I am trying to stop. Maybe. It gets me through. Plus, the Blackberry makes it so fast and easy. 

Text upon text,
BEAT

Side note: John gave me a newspaper article entitled, "1943 Guide to Hiring Women."  Before I could get through it, he points out this tidbit.
"General experience indicates that 'husky' girls-those who are just a little on the heavy side-are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters."
 Glad to know my extra few pounds are good for something. And rarely am I called "even tempered."  BTW, John was not calling me husky by pointing this out. I have to say this because he explicitly said it to me. It would have been a great case study, had he not offered that little clarification. Damn you, John. Jerk. (And while we're at it, "Shut up.")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PS- you are the person I HATE in meetings. And if I EVER get a short, non-capitalized EMAIL from you that has "sent via Blackberry" in the signature, I will seriously rethink our friendship. :)

BEAT said...

Good thing I capitalize. And I don't email during meetings, just text. Glad we can still be friends. ;)