05 March 2009

Road Trip

Megs is my best traveling buddy. Even when I asked if I could take out my contacts and switch to my glasses while driving, she politely agreed. No worries, I pulled off at the next exit to change them out. 

I wish I had pictures to share, but that will probably not happen. The weather was mostly rainy and cold, so nothing special to look at. Unless you count the man in uniform that shared Sunday brunch with us. Talking about hot stuff. 

Megs and I spend many moments planning our next trip. Especially on the drive or flight back. We figure we are going to be single for, well, a long time. And just so you don't worry, we are a-ok with this reality. A-ok. Some may call it independence. Others feminism at its best. Still some, something about being picky. Whatever, I am single. We are single. (Megs doesn't mind me speaking for her. Right, Megs?)

I love road trips. Tough this one did me in for a while. I did about 24 hours of driving over a five/six day period. I enjoy just talking and catching up. I even like the getting lost part. Bad words and all. Bad, bad words. It makes Megs laugh. And we are never bringing that damn GPS. 

I like the moments of silence when the conversation lingers and then trails off. Creating an easy silence. 

Then there is that moment when the silence breaks. Usually by a question. In this case, Rush Limbaugh. Before Megs could even finish the question, I let out the exaggerated sigh. Come on, do you blame me? But I listened. She did repeat the question. And then again. Repeated her concerns over the media's betrayal of his "fail" comment. She made me listen. Take note of the other side. And be more attentive to the whole story. And I didn't want to. But this what we do. Ask the hard questions. Be honest. Listen. Share openly. Dialogue. Curbside conference. Holy conferencing. (FYI: I have a bigger bone to pick with Mr. Limbaugh. Not so much about what he says but more about the enormous contract he recently signed.) 

The silence was broken. And thank God. We've got to do this more. Agree or disagree. Heated or mellow. The questions must be asked. The silence is comfortable. Easy. Safe. Unremarkable. 

The silence must be broken. At some point we have to ask the burning questions. The questions of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The questions that change us. The world. To create and maintain relationships. 

The problem, I can't wait for another road trip. We can't wait for the next road trip. 
BEAT

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Blair,
I agree with what you said about being single. I am A-okay with that fact! In fact I agree with a lot in the post. . .let me point out one thing I disagree with though. . .

Next time we are bringing that "damn GPS." At least we are if I am going to be helping with the navigating :)!

By the way..in our planning for a trip in the future did we mention Seattle because I think Seattle would be super fun!

Until our next trip. . .well okay until our next conversation probably tomorrow :)-

I love you!
Megs

Margaret said...

Blair and Megs,

I have a suggestion, but you have to wait until I get back to the States to take me with you. Let's go to Burning Man Festival, takes place every August in Nevada.

I love you two and especially love knowing when you are traveling together!
Margaret