10 March 2009

Beauty Guide?

So, you may think I'm kidding. I'm not. This lady has created a blog giving beauty tips to female clergy. She actually wants female clergy to submit photos of their Sunday outfits...and critique them. Really. No jokes. 

I think she is a pastor herself. Very funny. But it speaks some truth about challenges I continue to face in ministry. Who knew people cared so much what shoes I wear? How I style my hair? The length of my skirt? Whether I wear lipstick? Why I should wear lipstick?

I thought I would share. A good laugh. But just remember, this is my reality. Congregants and fellow clergy examine a female pastor's clothing and grooming habits, well, all the time. I say it frequently, but I can't get away with wearing the same suite every week. I can't just change my tie and look completely different. People remember what I wear. 

Open toe or no?
BEAT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for a robe all the time. At least then you're allowed to wear the same thing every sunday.

PeaceBang said...

Yes, CC, I am a pastor. I am a graduate of Harvard Divinity School, a parish minister of 12 years' experience, an adjunct professor for worship and liturgy and a candidate for a Doctor of Ministry degree at Andover-Newton Theological School.

Sorry to have to inform you that ministry is a role of public leadership and that your appearance will be noticed and that it does matter. If you read more about the BTFM mission ("De-frumpifying the clergy") and my interviews in the press, you may have less contempt for my fun and irreverent on-line ministry at PeaceBang.

The American clergy is in deplorable physical condition. We're sloppy, we don't take care of ourselves, we're frumpy and dated in our attire -- and all of this communicates such negative non-verbal messages that our words can barely compete.

In the years that I've been writing BTFM I have received hundreds of letters of thanks for consulting with pastors, for helping them to look like the leaders they want to be, and for supporting them during interviews, as they prepare for conferences, and as they choose vestments after ordination.


Not such a joke after all, is it?

PeaceBang said...

Hi again,
Sorry if that came across all defensive and stuff. Just a bad day -- I think this post may have been a sort of shout-out and I missed the "positivity" about it at first reading. Cheers and thanks. PB