05 July 2009

Never the Same

I bought an ironing board. (Pause.) I'm waiting for the gasping to stop. Well, I am waiting for the gasping to stop from Megs. Yes, I have this thing that stands up and allows me to iron without creases. I've been putting this off for years. If (big if) and when I need to iron I do it on my bed. FYI: This doesn't work so well. Like I mentioned, creases.

Something about buying an iron board means growing up. It shouts adulthood. And it means breaking away from family traditions. We don't iron in my family. Throw it in the dryer. That is...was...always our solution. I'm creating my own traditions now. I guess that includes ironing and doing said ironing on an actual ironing board.

Life changes. We change. I change. Me buying an ironing board is evidence. Just this small purchase means life will never be the same. From now until I die (dramatic, I know), I will need an ironing board. Never the same.

I've been feeling this way often lately. The littlest things change the course, and you are set on a new path. It can be a hard reality; one that causes anxiety and even anger. I've been tapping into these emotions more than I wish lately. Maybe I didn't want the ironing board. I didn't. But, my goodness, I needed it. Those professional clothes are meant to look professional. (Only if I could afford the drycleaners.)

The littlest things. Or the biggest decisions. And life is never the same. You learn to deal. I become better at ironing. I grow up and face adulthood. It is easy to get distracted, battered, bruised, and overwhelmed. Yet, I do just that. I face it. And...I'm never the same.

It is almost comforting. Almost.

Never the same,
BEAT

4 comments:

Mom said...

OMG (oh my "gosh") an ironing board...my little girl is all grown up, now I just need to make sure you have an EGG PLATE...and you will be a complete "Southern Woman". Blair what does an ironing board look like...I've never owned one !!!! Love from your Mama

Meghan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan said...

Blair-

You mean when I come to see you next time I get to use an actual ironing board?!?!? I don't even know what to say. . .now I have to find something else to give you a hard time about. . .I am sure that I can find something. . .

By the way it really does make me happy you have an ironing board! When I visit I will iron for you. . so long as lifetime is on!

Much love!
Megs :)

PS Faith Anne says. . ."HI AUNTIE BLAIR!!!!"

Jacquie said...

For me, it was the spice rack. Though I don't own a Spice Rack, it is in the compilation of different spices that I come to feel ever more the adult. Somehow knowing that I have ground coriander seed in my pantry makes me feel all grown up.