14 September 2009

The Dad

If you happened to review the comments from my last post, my father was not too happy that I called him grumpy. Or insinuated that I get my grumpy demeanor from him. Let's be honest. I do. Bless his heart. And bless mine. And Lord knows I don't like to admit it, but I am my father's child. As is my brother. For some reason the dad cannot (for the life of him) see the connections. I am grumpy, impatience, and straight talking. These happen to be some of the most endearing qualities of the dad. Now, let's not tell him. I have prided myself on keeping this a secret from him. (Our similarities and such.) I like to keep him guessing. And oh-the-joy when he describes us as opposites.

These qualities, the ones that I believe should restrict him from talking on the phone*, they are the visible and in front of your face qualities. They do not completely, nor accurately describe my daddy. (Yes, I said daddy.) Out of the four of us, he has the big heart that gives love and shares compassion. I could make a list. It would be kinda long. But the dad knows a thing or two about taking care of his neighbor. He physically aches when his business is slow because it decreases his opportunity to provide jobs, money, and food for his employees. Those he feels responsible for and accountable to. He's a big softy. He is.

So, I'm grumpy. And I get it from the dad. But I hope there is more. I hope there is more of him in me. I hope I am more...loving, compassionate, thoughtful...and...well, brash and ballsy. The dad is a complex mixture. Yeah, I hope I am a complex mixture.

But don't tell him. I have to keep him on his toes. You know, because we never see eye-to-eye.

Grumpy and lovable,
BEAT

*My daddy should never be allowed to answer the phone. Nor leave messages. It usually goes something like this. Ring. Ring. Ring. The dad: "Hello." (In your briefest, sharpest, most unpleasant tone.) Me: "Hey, daddy doodles." The dad: Audible huff. Puff. "Yeah..." Or ring. Ring. Ring. Voicemail picks up. The dad: "Blair. It is 5:15. 15 after 5....(message)...(repeat message)...it is 5:16...(repeat message for the third time)" He's going to be upset I included his commentary on this phone etiquette. I do love him. I do.

No comments: