24 September 2009

Tell Me About Your People


Who? These people?

I've got this person, too.

And let's not forget about these folks.

I kinda like these people, too.

I got lots of people.

I have some new duties this year at my internship. I will be making pastoral visits and calls. This mostly involves older adults and the homebound. Yesterday I visited three different assisted and nursing care living centers. I even gave a homily at a communion service. Is it strange that I feel more...comfortable? Energetic? Joyous? When I am with the older folks. Not because they are old(er), but because they get it. Life is for living. And for sharing. Smiling. Laughing. Honesty. They tell it like it is. I appreciate that. I really, really do.

My last visit was with one feisty lady. Walking in her apartment, I thought I was meeting the Godmother. She was sitting at the end of the room, surrounded by photos and plants. She was sitting high in her chair. She waved me over. Told me to sit. (And I did.) I was with another minister, but the Godmother focused on me. Looking me up and down through her good eye, we carried on a casual conversation. About 15 minutes into the visit the Godmother abruptly says, "Tell me about your people." My response, "My family?" The Godmother huffs and says, "Yes. Your family. What is your background? Their trade?"

My people? My background? Their trade? The Godmother is a unique blend of Southern Belle and elitist socialite. I loved it. I love her. After answering her questions, she looked me up and down again through the good eye. She declared, "I'm going to pray for you."

That's my job. I'm the one supposed to pray. I'm the one supposed to listen. It was a nice turn of events. I got to talk about my people. People I love and adore. And I was blessed with a sincere prayer.

I've got good people.
BEAT

No comments: