21 February 2009

Georgia on My Mind

On days like this: cold, raining, overcast, and typing my life away. On days like this I have Georgia on my mind. See I keep a wooden sign over my front door that says this very phrase. Everyday when I walk out of my apartment it is a reminder. Now I love Nashville. I love it more and more everyday, but it is not the place for me. Georgia is always on my mind. Yes, that is where most of the family and friends are, but there is more to the story. It sounds so evangelical, but I think of my great home state as my mission field. It is the community I am called to serve...love...challenge...pastor...

It is the question I get most often. Well, after the oldie-but-goodie, "Minister? You? A woman? But you'll go to hell." Okay, okay. I only get that last part half the time. That other question, "Where? Where do you want to be? Where will you go?" Georgia. Where am I going back to? Where will I serve? Where is home? Georgia. It is an easy place to be Methodist. Well, at least pseudo-Methodist. Don't yell at me. I have reasons for saying pseudo. It being easy is not why I long to return. That comfortable, easy feeling is why. Someone has to shake things up. Someone has to talk about holiness, the Holy Spirit...and dare I say that big, scary Wesleyan word. Dare I say...perfection

So, today Georgia is on my mind. It was yesterday. It will be tomorrow. I am coming home. Soon enough. And when I do, I hope to create some waves. Maybe they'll want to run me out after a year. That would make for a good story. To dream. Georgia would still be on my mind. 

Home upon home, 
BEAT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the perfection, but you should be writing about the doctrine of perfection, not its practice. Back to work!

I say this because I'm done. Completely. I only did four drafts, though, so that's why I'm done a bit early.

Erin Lea said...

Blair. Your blog inspires me. I appreciate the opportunity to read your public journal, so much so that I have started one of my own (me-and-three-byerinlea@blogspot.com) as an experiment. Who knows if I'll actually use it as much as you do and post as many fun things...but it's been a great procrastination device today.

I really should get back to working on our Take Home exam. But before I do, I need to tell you that you should feel at liberty to ignore Brandon and laugh off his scoffing. There's no way that kid is done.

Good luck writing,
Erin

Danielle said...

georgia is also, always on my mind. maybe for a few different reasons, but in all reality- not really. georgia is such a good place to come from- and a good place to call home. i am glad someone else shares my love. :)