16 December 2008

grades...

I don't enjoy getting grades back. Good or bad. Even if they are "good," I still dwell on what I did wrong or could have done better. I really wish they would just tell me each semester if I get to keep my scholarship. And let me tell you, that worry causes enough stress in my life. I am beyond thankful for my scholarship, but it comes with high standards. And if you are grateful for my scholarship (You know, because it lets me go to school, prepare for the future, and hopefully become a better pastor), please shop here. Frequently. (I will tell you why some other time, but it is a good story.) 

Yet, I still check on those final grades about five times a day. Not yet, though. Exams are not over until tomorrow, and then grades do not have to be submitted until the 20th. So, I wait. And wait, trying not to freak out about my performance on final papers, tests, and projects. (I am actually revising a project I already submitted, but not happy with at all. I am hoping the professor will accept the revised version because it is much better.)

I am a practitioner, not an academic genius.  I care about working with and serving God's people. How do you put a grade on that?  How can that work really be judged?  Then I think of all those who are congregants, and they do plenty of judging, especially when it comes to the work of their pastor. I would love to share a story my mom just told me yesterday, but I am afraid some character in the story might read this. Let me just say this: I agree that we should not really sing Christmas carols until the 25th. It's true!  We are in Advent. Baby Jesus has not yet been born. We cannot proclaim it from the mountain tops...yet. But on the 25th, I will be more than happy to go tell it on the mountain. Until then, I wait. And wait some more. 

Grades are not important, even if I wait on them. Nope. Even with the concerns of scholarships. Still not important.  I've got way more important things to wait on. We are still in Advent. And me, I am waiting on the birth of renewing peace and perfect love. That seems pretty darn important to me. 

I hope you are waiting. Not on grades. Not on money. Not even on family (though I do miss my Nine).  I hope you will wait with me. On peace. On love. On grace. On a humble child that will change this world. 

Waiting to go tell it on the mountain, 
Preacher BEAT

ps: Because I did get a little preachy in there. 


No comments: