09 November 2008

Because I finally found a name for it...


Many friends have wondered why I don't have a blog.  I always answered with, "You know, because I don't have time."  Honestly, I wanted to have a title for my blog that I loved.  Curbside Conference reflects one of the hardest and most important theological task any Christian, minister, friend, neighbor, and stranger has on a daily basis.  The Council of Bishops for the United Methodist Church suggest these guidelines for the task of holy (yes, holy) conferencing

Every person is a child of God. Always speak respectfully. One can disagree without being disagreeable.  As you patiently listen and observe the behavior of others, be open to the possibility that God can change the views of any or all parties in the discussion. Listen patiently before formulating responses. Strive to understand the experience out of which others have arrived at their views. Be careful in how you express personal offense at differing opinions. Otherwise dialogue may be inhibited. Accurately reflect the views of others when speaking. This is especially important when you disagree with that position. Avoid making generalizations about individuals and groups. Make your point with specific evidence and examples. Make use of facilitators and mediators. Remember that people are defined, ultimately, by their relationship with God – not by the flaws we discover, or think we discover, in their views and actions.

Or as the good Mr. Wesley (the founder of the Methodist Revival) understood it:
The dialogue guidelines are rooted in the concept of "holy conferencing," an early Methodist principle set forth by John Wesley, the 18th century British founder of Methodism. Bishop Dyck explained that Wesley believed that "holy conferencing" -- Christians conferring together for the sake of peace and truth seeking -- was a "means of grace," even as are Bible reading, prayer, and the sacraments.
I have to thank the wise and practical Bishop Joe Pennel for the theological phrase "Curbside Conference." I hope my reflections express the joy and challenge of peace making and truth seeking with friends, neighbors, strangers, and passersby.  Maybe this blog will keep me accountable, so I will listen actively, speak with care, experience grace, and love deeply.  Join me on the journey as I meet God's people, find guidance from the Holy Spirit, and dialogue through honest and open conversations. 

Grace upon grace...
BEAT 

No comments: