17 November 2008

I thought about the army (okay, navy)...


Dear Jason,

Tomorrow you start a new career. 10+ weeks of basic. When you told me you enlisted I didn't know what the hell you were thinking. Most days, I still don't.  (I'm being honest with you, buddy.)

You know I don't support war.  We worship a God of peace and harmony.  Jesus Christ told us to turn the other cheek. The Holy Spirit allows us to live as a reconciled community.  We are brothers and sisters in Christ.  We are brothers and sisters with all God's people. 

Yet, you still leave tomorrow.  To serve, protect, and become an adult? To promote peace? To be? Whatever the reason, much thanks.  Like I said on the phone: Blessings upon blessings upon blessings. Like God intends: Grace upon grace upon grace.  Most of all (and this will never change), I love you. 

My brother, be safe. Be wise. Be patient. And in every second, be an agent of divine peace.  

What can I give you other than intercessions and supplications?  Well, I dedicate my favorite Ben Folds' song to you on this eve of your departure.  And letters. Lots and lots of letters are headed your way. 

Enjoy these entertaining words. I love you. And thanks, for being my brother and being dedicated to a cause. 

Grace upon grace, 
BEAT Bear


No comments: