12 November 2008

these boots were made for walking


And walking is what I did today.  Across campus. Up and down stairs.  In circles.  Pacing.  Through the rain.  Against the wind. By the breaking of the morning light. With the setting of the day's sun.  (These fancy and fun shoes accompanied me the whole time.)

My thoughts did some walking today, too.  It was one of those emotionally draining days.  Such a day that required me to come home and decompress.  Sit on the couch.  Not open my computer.  Didn't crack a book (for the first two hours).  Walking thoughts lead to anxiety and...  Well, there are lots of ands.  Stress. Worry. Creativity. Searching. Inspiration. Confusion. Vision. Clarity.  Muddiness. Did I mention anxiety?

The problem with walking thoughts, they turn into running thoughts.  Now let's be honest, I don't run.  Ask friends. I always say, "Jesus walked everywhere."  Nevertheless, I do have walking and running thoughts.  These kind of thoughts can be distracting, leaving me absent in the moment.  I think walking thoughts are necessary, but at some point, you have to keep them in check.  How can I be present for others if I let my anxiety walk me out of the moment?

I did some walking today.  My thoughts did lots of walking today.  I am sorry if I was not present for you.  At least I was wearing cute boots?

Grace upon grace,
BEAT

No comments: