24 November 2008

did I ever tell you I am an aunt?


Well, not really. But yes. I mean she calls me Aunt Air. (The "b" sound seems to be hard for kids.) Cali Noel is my cute niece. There is a long story there, but we are going to move on.  Okay, the short. She is not my brother's.  She is Missy's, my sister who is not really my sister.  I seem to have lots of these relationships.  Good thing!  I like being adopted (figuretively). And my family seems to like to adopt people, too (figuretively).  I think complex family systems make life more interesting. Maybe.  These relationships are even better when you feel estranged from your own (extended) family.

Back to Cali.  Please take time to experience her cuteness and thoughtfulness in the below picture. I saw Cali in July, and then it was three months before I got to hold her again. And what a three months. She went from barely walking to running.  She went from holding on to her momma to social butterfly. And the best, she went from incoherent rambler to perfectly eloquent. What a great conversationalist. The great thing about kids, especially toddlers, they remind you of the little things.  

They describe ordinary objects with keen detail.  They observe what you have forgotten. And guess what?  They will remind you!  They point. They share. They talk. They conversate. They require your attention. And I am willing to give it! I am willing to be reminded. I am willing to rediscover the beautiful, complex, and ordinary of daily living.  Cali helps me regain a memory that was long forgotten in the (many) days of stress, studying, ranting, and self-centeredness. 

Thanks, Cali. Thanks for being part of my family. Thanks for talking with me. Thanks for helping me celebrate life.  

I am one lucky aunt.

Joy upon joy,
Aunt BEAT


1 comment:

Sara said...

So so precious, nd a great little reminder you've got there! :)
Happy Thanksgiving!